Aux Gauge Ideas

Talk and Tech about turbocharged 924/944/968 cars
crackership
Hi! I recently went to an electronic boost controller and so I've removed my MBC that was on a panel under the radio. I've had a Zeitronix gauge there forever also but I've never really liked it so I'm looking to make a new panel for under the radio with new gauges. Question is - what gauges? Boost seems obvious, AFR seems like a good idea.. anything else? Wha do you guys run? Share your pics for inspiration, please?

here's what it looked like before I removed the MBC:
20121203_210811.jpg
20121203_210811.jpg (133.07 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Aside, if anyone is interested in this panel, or the MBC.. or the Zietronix, they're all available.

-Dave

Build Thread (Now on Carpokes!)

Tom
Site Admin
Here's my current set up. Have had many over the years. The gauges were mismatched for years (zeitronix and augamist) but I finally got an SLA printer capable of making new bezels for them that don't look 3D printed. One screws on like a bottle cap and the other is secured in place with little eyeglass screws, but I was able to make them both look identical as installed. The panel itself is from front panel express -- by far the best way to go for custom radio panels. :)
interior.gif
interior.gif (293.85 KiB) Viewed 440 times
radio-gauges.gif
radio-gauges.gif (316.1 KiB) Viewed 440 times

crackership
Tom wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:06 pm Here's my current set up. Have had many over the years. The gauges were mismatched for years (zeitronix and augamist) but I finally got an SLA printer capable of making new bezels for them that don't look 3D printed. One screws on like a bottle cap and the other is secured in place with little eyeglass screws, but I was able to make them both look identical as installed. The panel itself is from front panel express -- by far the best way to go for custom radio panels. :)

interior.gif

radio-gauges.gif
I love the matching bezels! that's always been one of my biggest complaints is that it seems to be impossible to find a single manufacturer that makes all the gauges I want :). And +1million on Front Panel Express. They're actually pretty close to me in Seattle. They're the absolute best for stuff like this.

-Dave

whalenlg
Prosport Boost & Oil Temp Gauges & Knock Counter
Front Panel Express
I like the max hold and warning beep on the boost & temp gauges.
Red and Yellow LED's wired to the gauge warnings. Blue is wired to the diag port near the DME/KLR.
Attachments
IMG_7604.jpg
IMG_7604.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 422 times

1986 951 - Silicon Valley

AudiSport
Stay with the Zeitronix IMO, which unit do you have? ZT-2? Add the ZR2 gauge if you want to go round and have multiple values on one gauge and peak recall. I also like the fail-safe trigger that can kill the boost solenoid if you overboost to protect things. Lot of other values you can bring in to the ZT-2 for data logging as well, TPS, IAT, RPM, Fuel pressure etc.

I don't need a lot of gauges, they are pretty worthless overall when driving on the streets, just not a lot of time to take eyes off the road to watch rapidly changing values. Data logging is very important though. My daily driver twin turbo S4 I just use the ZT-2 for boost and AFR. Anything else I just log data.

I don't know there's a good gauge (system) out there that will give you as much as the ZT-2 without spending a fortune.

crackership
AudiSport wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:53 am Stay with the Zeitronix IMO, which unit do you have? ZT-2? Add the ZR2 gauge if you want to go round and have multiple values on one gauge and peak recall. I also like the fail-safe trigger that can kill the boost solenoid if you overboost to protect things. Lot of other values you can bring in to the ZT-2 for data logging as well, TPS, IAT, RPM, Fuel pressure etc.

I don't need a lot of gauges, they are pretty worthless overall when driving on the streets, just not a lot of time to take eyes off the road to watch rapidly changing values. Data logging is very important though. My daily driver twin turbo S4 I just use the ZT-2 for boost and AFR. Anything else I just log data.

I don't know there's a good gauge (system) out there that will give you as much as the ZT-2 without spending a fortune.
All totally valid points but I'm actually trying to simplify the gauge setup - I've swapped over to a VEMS ECU that handles , data logging, boost control, overboost protection, etc. I'm really just looking for boost and AFR in simple, clean, easy to read gauges.

The alternative is to go with an Android-based stereo head unit which can display any telemetry I want from the VEMS. It's definitely a cool option but I'm a bit of an audio nerd and the available Android head units don't seem to be great options. Also it's a bit too 'modern' for my tastes. I can also just use my phone to display telemetry from the VEMS and not bother with any gauges... I'm just really used to being able to read boost and AFR quickly at any time is all.

-Dave

chris white
Can buss driven gauges, can be configured to display anything you want
Attachments
29BB0C51-ABB6-4BD4-9B51-219CA80A58BB.jpeg
29BB0C51-ABB6-4BD4-9B51-219CA80A58BB.jpeg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 333 times
A4372EE5-750D-43B5-8140-E8FC2638C1E1.jpeg
A4372EE5-750D-43B5-8140-E8FC2638C1E1.jpeg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 333 times

Tom
Site Admin
Very slick!

ROB III
I like the boost knob, looks to be from a stereo amp...

chris white
ROB III wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:51 am I like the boost knob, looks to be from a stereo amp...
Guitar knob actually! They make quite a few styles of knobs.