New 3D-Printed 944 Timing Belt Tensioner Tool

KJB
Hi Tom!
I'm new to the forum after watching your video on the tensioner tool. What I can gather from the Youtube comments and the thread here is that the tool will not work on a 944 S2 and its 16V engine. I happen to work with CAD in my engineering job and would like to make some minor changes to your design so that it will fit the S2, would that be alright? If so, what software did you use and are the original files available?

1989 944 S2 - Black on black w/M220 diff
1994 520i - Calypso red M-sport 5MT

Tom
Site Admin
KJB wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:46 am Hi Tom!
I'm new to the forum after watching your video on the tensioner tool. What I can gather from the Youtube comments is that the tool will not work on a 944 S2 and its 16V engine. I happen to work with CAD in my engineering job and would like to make some minor changes to your design so that it will fit the S2, would that be alright? If so, what software did you use and are the original files available?
Hi and welcome to Carpokes. You are right that the tool will not work as designed on the 16 valve motors, but that is on my agenda, along with a balance shaft version. The real key is not so much the design, but testing/calibrating it against the 9201 (which I see Pelican now sells for an eye-watering $1560). Do you have a 9201? If anyone were to just change the pivot point, for example, there's very little change it will still match the factory tool. I have opted not to distribute the design files for that reason and, frankly, the tool's calling-card value for Carpokes. Not saying I'd never consider it, but both of those things would need to be pinned down first. Stick around and let us get to know you a bit more... :angel:

KJB
Tom wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:46 am
Hi and welcome to Carpokes. You are right that the tool will not work as designed on the 16 valve motors, but that is on my agenda, along with a balance shaft version. The real key is not so much the design, but testing/calibrating it against the 9201 (which I see Pelican now sells for an eye-watering $1560). Do you have a 9201? If anyone were to just change the pivot point, for example, there's very little change it will still match the factory tool. I have opted not to distribute the design files for that reason and, frankly, the tool's calling-card value for Carpokes. Not saying I'd never consider it, but both of those things would need to be pinned down first. Stick around and let us get to know you a bit more... :angel:
Thanks for having me!
Your agenda sounds solid and a balance belt variant would also be very much appreciated :)
I have access to a 9201 tool through a friend's colleague, but no I do not own the tool myself (the price for it second-hand is not much better than on Pelican..). That's why it was so encouraging to see a community tool like yours pop up. I have been to my local official Porsche mechanic several times because of my timing/balance belt whine but they have never gotten it right, why I have given up on them and want to do the coming change by myself. I mean, as long as no valves get bent it will be no worse than what Porsche themselves are able to achieve :D They have 2 959 on display on the showroom floor (it doubles as a museum), why I put trust in them in the first place to get it sorted. At least the belt has held up for 4 years now so maybe I should not complain too much.

I get that you don't want to distribute the files, I have myself gotten my free community files (spare parts for a turn table) "stolen" and sold on Ebay before. I just got excited that such a simple tool existed that also seems to deliver (heard mixed opinions about the cricket) and a bit bummed out that it won't fit the 16V engines. I can still try and make a personal mock-up version for the 16V from the STL file as well, though a STEP file would be preferred hence why I asked. Or, I can try to find the patience and wait until your version comes out ;)

1989 944 S2 - Black on black w/M220 diff
1994 520i - Calypso red M-sport 5MT

ZermattSilber951
Tom, thank you for creating the 944 Timing Belt Tensioner tool and sharing it with the community. I'm looking forward to printing and using the tool. Thank you!

Ltw
Thanks for making this, Tom!

Just wondering how long/how many miles it takes for a belt to be considered used, and if a retension is necessary.

Thanks again!

oisf3a
Hi !
I am new here, looking for the 3D-print files for making a timing belt tension tool for my 944.

regards
Ø

XXLAuto
thanks for your fantastic video!

Dany Merckx
Hallo,

I am new here, looking for the 3D-print files for marking a timming belt tension tool for my 944 from 1987.

The force required is 7 foot-pounds which is equivalent to 9.49 Nm, correct ? Is not much?

Thanks four your reaction.

Best regards

Dany

Tom
Site Admin
Dany Merckx wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:41 am Hallo,

I am new here, looking for the 3D-print files for marking a timming belt tension tool for my 944 from 1987.

The force required is 7 foot-pounds which is equivalent to 9.49 Nm, correct ? Is not much?

Thanks four your reaction.

Best regards

Dany
Welcome! Yes, the tool is designed so that the pointer will line up with the water pump guard rail when the torque wrench reads 7 ft. lbs. (or 9.49 NM) AND the belt is properly tensioned. The 7 ft. lbs. was an arbitrary choice on my part. I could have made it 2 or 10 or 20, and just moved the pointers so they lined up with the rail when the belt was in spec. I picked 7 because I wanted it high enough to read accurately on a typical torque wrench, but not so high that it would strip out the plastic prematurely. :)

gsusdminor
Thanks for that amazing tool. Works great. Printed it on a Bambu X1C.