Asking opinions on 992 C2 build, please

Tech and talk about the 991 and 992
DocJay
First time 911 ownership, coming out of Macan GTS.

New code: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRLVK9B2

Questions: Shall I opt for std wheels, and put the $2K towards ACC?
How dark is the slate gray interior? Too dark for hot climate?
Glass sunroof? Hard top sunroof? Save the $ again, for something else?
With Guards Red, shall I opt for clear rear light bar instead of std red?

TIA, folks!

elm310
If your car is PDK then yes of course ACC, I would go for the regular wheels, since the center locks are a pain to take off and put back on. I do have them on mine, but I am more of a DIY guy and have the tools for them.

Eric

2022 911 Carrera 4 GTS
2009 BMW e92 M3
2014 BMW f10 535i
2017 Nissan Frontier SV
2019 Yamaha AR210 Jetboat

P_Coastal
@DocJay as the car will be PDK, I would sink some research into the Assistance Systems to see if they suit you, and the Matrix LEDs. Wheels are personal but I compliment your direction on non-black wheels, I like the Carrera S wheels myself.
😎 It’s gonna be beautiful 👍🏻

2023 Porsche 718 Cayman (Chalk / Leather interior in Black/Bordeaux Red) My Config:
viewtopic.php?p=7560#p7560

blueline
As we all know, builds are very, very subjective and depend on what you like and what you want. That thought is paramount no matter what I or others might suggest - it's got to be what you want. Sticking to a preset budget often comes into play too. Thoughts of resale (what others might or might not like) is a consideration but should not override what you want and what you like.

You'll have time to play with the configurator and make changes back and forth depending on when your allocation arrives and/or when it locks. It's a fun process - I've done a lot of Porsche configurations (for both play and real) these past several years. Dreams!

You have a really nice and good-looking build spec that is also keeping the cost in line, insofar as such a thing is possible with any Porsche. :lol: It will be a beautiful car indeed!

Like P_Coastal and elm310, I like the look of the wheels that you've chosen (they are among my favorites for current 911s) and I also think avoiding the center locks when possible is a plus. I say that even though the wheels on mine are center lock. (Sometimes center locks cannot be easily avoided, depending on the model.)

Assuming you stick to regular 5-bolt wheels, you might consider the wheel lock set - only $60 and probably a wise thing to do.

The slate grey w/chalk stitching you've chosen is classy and suits the Guards Red well. Shade-wise I think it will look about the same as what you're seeing on the configurator. At night the ambient light option you chose will look good and lighten things up if you feel it's too dark. Heavy opinion here, but for me I'd prefer the seat belts in a complimentary color such as slate grey. I couldn't do the red, but that's just me.

Sports seats plus are fine but I've known many who passed on preowned 911s without 18-way. It's an additional $1,150 over the 14-way but you'll love the additional adjustments and they will keep you more comfortable on longer rides.

Premium package is a great choice - don't let that one go away.

You asked about the sunroof - again just my personal choice but I'll always opt for solid roof in a 911. I like the additional cocoon/cockpit feeling when in the car, have no need for light coming through a roof and lastly and most importanly to me, I prefer the exterior look of a solid, painted roof.

The LED-Matrix light upgrade is not cheap at $2,000 but if NHTSA ever gets a brain and allows the additional functionality inherent in those lights, it will be magnificent. And even without the software enhancement that may or may not materialize, the LED- Matrix are awesome and any upgrade for night lighting is a huge boon for tiring eyes.

You might consider the heated steering wheel at $280 additional (or heated GT steering wheel at $590). Since it's a daily driver, you'll likely appreciate the quick warmth for a few minutes on bitter cold mornings.

ACC - I never use cruise of any kind so ACC is not necessary for me or something I seek out. Alignments will be considerably more expensive due to the integration of all assist systems into ACC. However, having said that, I will tend to always opt for ACC because many out there love it and will definitely want it. (It's part of some models' upgrade packages too, so it often comes along for the ride.) If you think that you might use the function and if you're considering resale, then I'd certainly seriously consider adding ACC.

Sound? Not sure where you stand on tunes but the Burmester does improve from the Bose considerably. However, it's not cheap.

FAL? (Ft axle lift). If there are oddly positioned transitions from street to driveways or street to parking lots in your life, then I'd consider the option. It's a nifty and often helpful addition to save the underside of the front end.

There's more that you could wade into with any 911 build but much of it is just bling, although I love that aspect too - things like crests on the console lid or headrests, puddle lights, more black gloss trim, etc. It's an almost endless list of things guaranteed to raise the MSRP considerably. :angel:

As I said, builds are fun! Figuring out what to add and where to stop is more difficult!

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

DocJay
Thanx, Blue! Great review and thoughts. So glad I found this forum!

Tom
Site Admin
DocJay wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:19 pm Thanx, Blue! Great review and thoughts. So glad I found this forum!
The feeling is mutual, welcome to Carpokes! Great build -- I'm a sucker for red. As Tim said, it's all totally subjective. I ordered a red one in 2018, and then a white one in 2021. The red one was loaded to the hilt with just about every option (my first brand new Porsche), but after owning it a while I concluded a lot of the options didn't really do much -- so on the second car I got much less gloss black exterior pieces and less custom leather stuff inside, more in line with your spec. My suggestion on the seats is to sit in all of them. I was recently in a car with the 14-ways seats, and thy seemed more comfortable to me than my current 18-ways. Maybe it's because they were in Macan though, but they just seemed to fit me better. I'm with Tim on the solid sunroof -- primarily because I'm not a fan of the black roof on a non-black car -- but I'm also not that into driving under the glass roof. Whatever you decide, you're going to love the car!

marin
Welcome to the forum! I personally love the glass sunroof. It adds a lot of light into the cabin and makes it feel a lot more livable/breathable to be in. The glass sunroof also comes with a retractable shade, so it can be dark as well too (which I would use mostly in the summer time). Also, I really like the look of the black glass on top of a red car. As others have said, picking the right seat is super important, definitely go sit in a few to pick the one that fits you the best. Also, I like the wheels that you picked.

DocJay
Tom, on your red car (assume Guards Red?) did you have logo in gloss black? Did you add window trim in gloss black? Finally, did you leave rear light panel in red, or opt for clear? Thanx, j

DocJay
Hi, Marin. Thanks for your reply . I am coming out of a 21 Macan GTS, with (gorgeous) Espresso Brown natural leather 18-ways. (Exterior is chalk). Great seats for that car, but I am 70.5 yrs old and a bit short for my weight (5’11” 220#) and don’t want to go climbing over bolsters and falling out of my car. So these are a bit easier to “slide” out of. 😉

blueline
I love how ideas and opinions vary on subjective designs and likes (such as sunroofs in glass vs solid). That's what makes this all so fantastic and unique and fun. There are no right or wrong answers to the vast majority of these kinds of questions and answers. The choices are generally all good (and you'll know when/if they're not for you), so definitely go with what you like!

Also, Docjay, while you're waiting on Tom's answer to your trim question, I'll chime in with my choices on my 992 Turbo S which is Carmine Red. I went with a lot of gloss black - window trim, model designation on rear, Porsche logo on rear, calipers, rear vertical grill slats, wheels (w/polished silver faces), LED-Matrix headlights (black, not gloss), sport tailpipes (also technically not gloss black).

And I'd vote yes to the Exclusive Design taillights - I like how the clear looks on my 911.

To help offset or tone down some of that excess (again, based on my tastes and desires), everything else is painted in body color - mirror bases, rear side intakes, Turbo Sport Design pkg, etc. And I have no decals or other logos or model designations anywhere else on the exterior - what's on the rear is it as far as that goes.

Based on what you've considered so far and based on input from others here, you won't go wrong with whatever you choose! Gonna be exciting! :thumbup:

PS - two different sets of wheels in the pics I attached. One summer wheels/tires and the 2nd pic winter wheels/tires.

PPS - I always caution that pictures rarely show a "true" color (is there such a thing?) which is obvious in the two pics, one in natural outside morning light and the second under 5000k fluorescents.

PXL_20220909_135130014 (Small).jpg
PXL_20220909_135130014 (Small).jpg (84.54 KiB) Viewed 269 times
PXL_20240222_010323736 (Small).jpg
PXL_20240222_010323736 (Small).jpg (109.03 KiB) Viewed 269 times

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region