992/991/981 License Plate Mounts Now Available

Post things for sale here!
Tom
Site Admin
Note: as of the summer of '23, these mounts are once again 3D printed in ABS, but now using updated printers that create mounts that look as good or better than the CNC versions (in my opinion...).

Happy to announce the all-new 992 Rear License Plate Mounts are now available, which are backward compatible with the 981, 991.1, and 991.2, including all variants. These are CNC'd out of solid ABS, with stainless steel thread inserts, and are held in place with 3M automotive molding tape. See the Carpokes 'store' for current pricing and ordering info:

app.php/carpokes-store

If you'd like a set, you can either PM me here, or email me on Admin@carpokes.com. Here are some pictures and commentary in the meantime. Cheers! :)

mounts-on-car.gif
mounts-on-car.gif (589.37 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
Here they are mounted on my 992 Turbo S.

mount-clearance.gif
mount-clearance.gif (486.92 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
Many states put a bead around the edge of the plate, so we decided to add a little groove at the end of the mount to ensure the plate can still sit perfectly flat against the mount. The relative complexity of the mount is driven by the embossed outline on the bumper. Simple flat mounts, like those for the 718, just would not work here. That's why these cost a bit more to make/sell.

mount-area.gif
mount-area.gif (436.48 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
If your license plate mounting area looks like this, these are the mounts for you. :) Hard to believe Porsche expects us to drive self-tapping screws into a brand new bumper.

paxton
In for a set, will send you an email for payment.

Thank you,
Greg

Need4Spd
Hi, I just emailed you. Curious what size, pitch for screws? I’d like to use stainless Torx security screws instead.

Tedrudich
Great solution. Dealer drilled 2 holes already but I will put on anyway. This way plate won’t vibrate near bumper/paint. I IM’d you.

Tom
Site Admin
Need4Spd wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:24 pm Hi, I just emailed you. Curious what size, pitch for screws? I’d like to use stainless Torx security screws instead.
Ah, I think I just figured out which email that was.... but if I have not responded to your email, let me know.

The screws are M6 x 1.0 and 10mm long. (I put that in the instructions for just this reason.) Just be careful not to use screws that are too long. If they are too long, they will poke out the bottom of the mount and can scratch the bumper and push the mount off the bumper.

paxton
Need4Spd wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:24 pm Hi, I just emailed you. Curious what size, pitch for screws? I’d like to use stainless Torx security screws instead.
Titanium ones

https://titaniumcarparts.com/products/n ... 9047601226

Tom
Site Admin
paxton wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:59 am
Titanium ones

https://titaniumcarparts.com/products/n ... 9047601226
No joke, I had asked our resident Carpokes machinist a few weeks ago about making a few sets of Titanium mounts. They'd be stupid expensive and probably weigh more than ABS, but I still think they'd be cool. Maybe even drilled for weight savings. :) No immediate plans to make any, but maybe some day as a secret handshake gift for folks who really go the extra mile on carpokes. :)

Need4Spd

ryancassidy
Just noticed your screen name - Need4spd - was my best friends screen name on all the old forums/BBS and the like from back in the day. good memories.. made me do a double take :-) Thanks!

Cheers,
Ryan Cassidy

paxton
Just got mine in the mail today. Now all I need is for my car to arrive ;-) The new CNC design is next level. Thanks @Tom for the fast shipping and cool carpokes sticker.