Spooky Charging Issue

Tech and talk about the Taycan
Rich_911
While cleaning up the garage yesterday I discovered this (see pic below). Hopefully this happened before Porsche changed the default charging amperage to 20 amps (down from 34 amps if I remember correctly).
Attachments
IMG_3575.jpg
IMG_3575.jpg (887.02 KiB) Viewed 657 times

Regards,
Rich

---------------------------
2008 911 4s
2020 Taycan Turbo S

Tom
Site Admin
I'm not an electrician or Taycan owner, so consider the source, but that outlet (NEMA 1450-R) should be a 50Amp outlet. I have the same outlet one for my welder. Even at 34 amps, it's well below its rated capacity. What charger are you using? There's lots of talk on the internet about the plug used on the Porsche charger overheating inside due to undersized wires. I'd get that outlet changed asap (internal damage just makes the issue worse); call your dealer; and lower your charge rate until the plug stays cool enough to touch after sustained charging.

Rich_911
That plug is on a 50 amp breaker, and I had an electrician run the a new cable in the ceiling for this. He knew the amperage and he installed the plug. This setup should all be good. I'm using the charger that came with the Taycan.

About a year ago my Dealer lowered the default charging amperage to 20amps - there were complaints the charger was overheating in "Southern regions", like Florida and Texas. I have had a few occasions where the charger display was red and complained of overheating. Since then, if the temperature is over 95F I've put a fan on the charger. (What was Porsche thinking??) The solution offered (as noted above) was to lower the default charging amperage.

I'll start checking how hot the plug is the next few times I charge the car. I'll also have the plug replaced.

Regards,
Rich

2008 911 4s
2020 Taycan Turbo S

Tom
Site Admin
Rich_911 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:52 pm That plug is on a 50 amp breaker, and I had an electrician run the a new cable in the ceiling for this. He knew the amperage and he installed the plug. This setup should all be good. I'm using the charger that came with the Taycan.

About a year ago my Dealer lowered the default charging amperage to 20amps - there were complaints the charger was overheating in "Southern regions", like Florida and Texas. I have had a few occasions where the charger display was red and complained of overheating. Since then, if the temperature is over 95F I've put a fan on the charger. (What was Porsche thinking??) The solution offered (as noted above) was to lower the default charging amperage.

I'll start checking how hot the plug is the next few times I charge the car. I'll also have the plug replaced.
I doubt there was anything wrong with your outlet or wiring (until it got burned). People have been reporting the charger plug heating up inside and creating excess heat. The outlet is most likely just a casualty of the plug. Hopefully, lowering the amps keeps everything safe, but seems like Porsche will want to upgrade that plug....

abatis
I changed my 50 amp outlet to a Hubbell industrial outlet per Porsche's recommendation and I have had zero problem with the Porsche charger. I also have not allowed the update that reduces the charger output as I have the proper outlet.

Rich_911
I just had the outlet changed. This is what the old one looks like. The wires were NOT loose, everything was tight. I'm also going to replace the plug on the charger - just in case there is something amiss there. The electrician also checked my panel. That 50 amp circuit is pulling the correct amperage - the charger is set to 20 amps, it is reporting 19.2 amps (during charging), and his meter reported 19.5 amps. I bumped the charger up to 25 amps, and both the charger and the meter reported 24.x amps.

My electrician said there shouldn't be a problem charging at 30 or 35 amps, unless there is an issue with the charger or plug.
Attachments
IMG_3579.jpg
IMG_3579.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 417 times

Regards,
Rich

2008 911 4s
2020 Taycan Turbo S

blueline
Rich_911 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:14 pm I just had the outlet changed. This is what the old one looks like. The wires were NOT loose, everything was tight. I'm also going to replace the plug on the charger - just in case there is something amiss there. The electrician also checked my panel. That 50 amp circuit is pulling the correct amperage - the charger is set to 20 amps, it is reporting 19.2 amps (during charging), and his meter reported 19.5 amps. I bumped the charger up to 25 amps, and both the charger and the meter reported 24.x amps.

My electrician said there shouldn't be a problem charging at 30 or 35 amps, unless there is an issue with the charger or plug.
Glad that you found it before something worse happened.

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region