944 Flywheel Lock

RebornDoe
Thanks for this!

shoggr
Tom wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:12 am
shoggr wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:26 am Hi, this is great! thank you

Does anyone know or confirm if this works with the 968 Tip? I read on other forums it would but not on the manual. Might give it a go.
Please report back if it fits. Also, be aware I made this on special request to have a good model of it out there, but a typical 3D printer cannot make one strong enough to torque and untorque the front pully bolt -- it WILL break. It can still be useful to keep the motor from turning while working on belts/cams, etc.
Will do Tom, just getting in made at the moment. Will try and fit it in soon. Looked into share forces of metal printing material and probably not enough so will do a 3d plastic print first to test before making one in steel.

SE_944ER

Does anyone know or confirm if this works with the 968 Tip? I read on other forums it would but not on the manual. Might give it a go.
Please report back if it fits. Also, be aware I made this on special request to have a good model of it out there, but a typical 3D printer cannot make one strong enough to torque and untorque the front pully bolt -- it WILL break. It can still be useful to keep the motor from turning while working on belts/cams, etc.
Hi Tom,
That will be a bit tragic, but do you have any recommendations because I'm in need of a lock to finish my work and my idea was to use the 3D printed one.

Regards,
SE_944ER
---------------
1987 944 S

Tom
Site Admin
SE_944ER wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:54 pm

Hi Tom,
That will be a bit tragic, but do you have any recommendations because I'm in need of a lock to finish my work and my idea was to use the 3D printed one.
Rennbay sells a reproduction for for $54, and there's a guy on eBay that sells the same one (I think) for like $45... Well worth the money vs trying to mess with some home-brew way to lock the motor -- at least if you need to undo the front pulley bolt. Most likely, you need the longest extension you can fit under the hood and still pull with all your might to crack that bolt -- so the last thing you want is for the motor to move or to damage something with a make-shift engine lock.

SE_944ER
Tom wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:01 pm

Hi Tom,
Rennbay sells a reproduction for for $54, and there's a guy on eBay that sells the same one (I think) for like $45... Well worth the money vs trying to mess with some home-brew way to lock the motor -- at least if you need to undo the front pulley bolt. Most likely, you need the longest extension you can fit under the hood and still pull with all your might to crack that bolt -- so the last thing you want is for the motor to move or to damage something with a make-shift engine lock.
Well, I already unlocked the center bolt and now the work has almost come around where I need to put the bolt back, tighten it and check for timing and balance shafts alignment and correctness. I will let you know how it goes and also I will check the tool you mentioned. But delivery could delay work which I dont want.
Thanks.

Regards,
SE_944ER
---------------
1987 944 S

shoggr
Tom wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:01 pm

Hi Tom,
Sorry, been a while. yes it fits and helped me confirm it is correct so now I can make one out of metal. Thank you

Oded1991
mindblowing. Did anyone actually try to torqe it or is it just mockup?

nickewanchuk
Hello, just commenting here to download the file for the flywheel lock. Thank you for designing this I was going to myself, but this saves me a lot of time.