944 Flywheel Lock

Tom
Site Admin
Here is an STL of the factory 944 flywheel lock. It would almost certainly need to be made in metal to work when you torque and un-torque the front pulley bolt. However, in plastic it could be used to keep the motor at TDC while doing the belts. Picture shows plastic version next to steel original.

944 Flywheel Lock by Carpokes.stl

You need at least one post on Carpokes to see and download files.

GarethA
Forgive me, please - but how does this website work? ...it says I don't have required permissions.

Tom
Site Admin
GarethA wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:36 am Forgive me, please - but how does this website work? ...it says I don't have required permissions.
Sorry, as a bot-control measure, you need at least one post here before you can download. By asking that question, you now have the required permissions.... If you still have any problems, just let us know.

GarethA
Tom wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:27 am
GarethA wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:36 am Forgive me, please - but how does this website work? ...it says I don't have required permissions.
Sorry, as a bot-control measure, you need at least one post here before you can download. By asking that question, you now have the required permissions.... If you still have any problems, just let us know.
_____

Thank you very much!

aerolithe
Any body make one for a 928?

rgmarenc
I might be able to find someone to print this in aluminum or stainless steel. Do you think that would be strong enough? Thanks, Richard

Tom
Site Admin
rgmarenc wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:11 pm I might be able to find someone to print this in aluminum or stainless steel. Do you think that would be strong enough? Thanks, Richard
True aluminum or stainless would hold up I imagine, but the strength of a 3D printed metal part would be heavily dependent on what machine/process is used. They sell metal-filled plastic for home printers, which would not stand a chance I suspect. On the other hand, there are high-end commercial printers from companies like HP that can print metal that's as strong as the real McCoy. If you send it off to Shapeways or Xometry , etc., and had it done on a million dollar metal printer, I'm sure it would hold up, but that would probably cost a lot more than just buying the tool. :wtf:

SE_944ER
Hi,

I had to print it twice as the first one was warped as well as printed in the wrong orientation (have read about it failing from another thread here), but second one got just right and worked today so well. Thanks @Tom !
WhatsApp Image 2023-07-25 at 8.55.23 PM.jpeg
You need at least one post on Carpokes to see and download files.

Regards,
SE_944ER
---------------
1987 944 S

shoggr
Hi, this is great! thank you

Does anyone know or confirm if this works with the 968 Tip? I read on other forums it would but not on the manual. Might give it a go.

Tom
Site Admin
shoggr wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:26 am Hi, this is great! thank you

Does anyone know or confirm if this works with the 968 Tip? I read on other forums it would but not on the manual. Might give it a go.
Please report back if it fits. Also, be aware I made this on special request to have a good model of it out there, but a typical 3D printer cannot make one strong enough to torque and untorque the front pully bolt -- it WILL break. It can still be useful to keep the motor from turning while working on belts/cams, etc.