Garage Thread

A friendly place to discuss whatever!
Larry C
Tom wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:15 pm
Larry C wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:29 am 34B23FCA-53B6-4417-A074-BAF315F4EDB0.jpeg

This is my 2022 CGTS 4.0 in our two car Los Angeles garage. Our home was built in 1937 and the garage is a bit smaller than newer ones.
Kind of ironic that your garage is on the small side for most 1937 cars, but fits your 2022 perfectly....
I’ve always wondered about that regarding older garages. It was more common for a family to have only one car 80 years ago. Also, carryover from the horse and buggy days? 🤔

2022 Cayman GTS 4.0
2019 Audi RS3 (sold)
2016 VW Golf R (sold)
2013 Audi S4 (sold)

Acropora
Tom wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:59 pm 12.png
Basic construction done... "Ghostwood" siding and corrugated metal wainscotting on the walls were inspired by a Mexican restaurant near my house, and a little by Cheeseburgers in Paradise in Maui...

14.png
Swing-out carriage doors were a total pain, but saved head room for the lift and gave it a cool vibe.

18.png

shop.jpg
GT2RS visiting for the afternoon. :)

992-porsche.gif
Porsche letters were a Christmas present from my wife, years before I had any place to put them. :)
Beautiful looking garage Tom, excellent job on the renovation 😍

Dany Kazarian
992 GTS Coupe

brianja
My garage is tiny compared to most, but I live in NYC and having a single private garage is a bit of a luxury in it's own right. lol

We renovated a 100 year old house a few years back. Everything had been neglected for years, but the garage even more than the rest. The garage renovation required major structural work to widen the garage and driveway including new structural steel, temporary supports for the building façade, etc.. We also chopped and re-poured the entire floor slab and epoxy coated in the garage.

Here are a few before shots and then some of it now:

Acropora
brianja wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:53 am My garage is tiny compared to most, but I live in NYC and having a single private garage is a bit of a luxury in it's own right. lol

We renovated a 100 year old house a few years back. Everything had been neglected for years, but the garage even more than the rest. The garage renovation required major structural work to widen the garage and driveway including new structural steel, temporary supports for the building façade, etc.. We also chopped and re-poured the entire floor slab and epoxy coated in the garage.

Here are a few before shots and then some of it now:

Wow, what a transformation, great job 👍

Dany Kazarian
992 GTS Coupe

brianja
Acropora wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:26 am Wow, what a transformation, great job 👍
Thanks! It was a long road, but it is great in there now.

It is hard to believe that even the driveway outside was too narrow to fit a modern car into when we started. The original garage door was narrower than the 992!

The space can be a little tight for some activities, but I've been able to R&R all wheels and have the entire car up on jack stands in there. It isn't obvious from the photos, but in addition to regular lighting, the garage has about 25k lumens of 5000K LED lighting that I can turn on for detailing or other work on the car, which is awesome.

Tom
Site Admin
Just a fantastic job all around. Reminds me a bit of the Jack Olsen 12-gauge garage, but yours is more elegant I'd say. Did you design it yourself? The exterior alone just transforms the house. This might be the first garage remodel I've seen with a positive return on investment in terms of home value.

brianja
Tom wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:44 am Just a fantastic job all around. Reminds me a bit of the Jack Olsen 12-gauge garage, but yours is more elegant I'd say. Did you design it yourself? The exterior alone just transforms the house. This might be the first garage remodel I've seen with a positive return on investment in terms of home value.
I know that 12-gauge garage build... it was definitely part of my inspiration (the tiny, but extremely functional garage), though his is very focused on his woodworking and such. He also has those beautiful green cabinets that look great, but are a little limiting on aesthetic options and don't work with all car colors parked in there.

Yes, I did the design myself. I had an architect working on the whole home renovation that put together drawings for some of the basics (and their team handled the structural design for the garage scope) but the final fit-out and details are mine. I even fabricated and designed the piping rig for the wall-mounted pressure washing system and hose reel myself and painted all of the piping in a color that is custom matched to the cabinets. I love this stuff!

Bill in Bama
Late to this party, but here are a few pics of my humble garage. About 10-12 years ago I decided to spend a few bucks and replace all the hodge-podge of shelves littering the walls of my 2 car attached garage with some decent cabinets, so I bought several Gladiator units from Lowe's and took all the other things off the walls. I repainted the garage, then mounted the cabinets, plus a couple of big locker-size ones for car cleaning supplies and oil change supplies respectively. The pics are right after I put up the Gladiator units, I need some updated photos and will edit later with newer pics. I have a 5 hp commercial type Kellogg compressor that came from one of my service stations in my previous career. It has a rod that knocks badly upon startup but then quietens down, been doing this for 20 years or more so I think it will hold up a while longer. I can get 175 psi from it but usually only pump it to 150 if I am using my air wrench.

The MaxJax lift was added in 2010 after I bought the 987 Cayman S and sold a scissors lift to partially fund it. I installed it myself without too much trouble, borrowing a hammer drill from the contractor that had recently built a sun room onto the back of the house. It makes everything so much easier as I sit on my rolling stool to perform oil changes, wheel removal, brake maintenance, and even to just look underneath the car sometimes.

In 2019 we built a two car freestanding garage and I considered putting in a full rise lift, but in the end chose not to as I'm getting too old to justify the cost and my MaxJax does everything I need now. Besides, the new garage doubles as a pool house since we put in a pool at the same time we built it. My Cayenne resides in one bay and pool floats and such occupy the other. It is visible behind the pic of my GTS 4.0.

The pic of the 987 on the lift shows the clutch R&R I did on it in 2015, saving a couple thousand over an indy shop and untold $$$ over the dealer price. That alone paid for the MaxJax (or so I told my wife). But it really did.
Garage with gladiator.jpg
Garage with gladiator.jpg (260.95 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Garage w 987 on lift.jpg
Garage w 987 on lift.jpg (328.99 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Garage w GTS on lift.jpg
Garage w GTS on lift.jpg (240.41 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Garage w GTS on lift.jpg
Garage w GTS on lift.jpg (240.41 KiB) Viewed 389 times
[attachment=0]
Attachments
New garage behind GTS
New garage behind GTS
GTS 1.jpg (442.77 KiB) Viewed 389 times

'21 718 GTS 4.0, AGM/Espresso/ Cognac
'17 Cayenne base, White/Luxor/Black
'16 Cayman GTS, great car, sold for the 4.0
'13 Cayenne base, DBM/Luxor beige
'06 Cayman S, first mid-engine car
'86 944 Turbo, fast! Stone grey
'84 944, my first Porsche DBM

blueline
I love this thread! Keep it alive and near the top...always!

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

Pcarnut
Tom wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:01 pm And this may be my favorite part....

Love those doors Tom.

Porsche nut.
2018 911 Carrera T, manual, Miami Blue
73 911S
57 356A
And a bunch of Classic FJ40 Toyota Land Cruisers