Intermittent Alternator

Talk and Tech about turbocharged 924/944/968 cars
usury
I did my rubber fuel lines in a motel parking lot during a road trip in middle of nowhere Wyoming. One of them was starting to leak at the regulator (or damper). I figure I narrowly missed a fire. Did it with the tools I packed for the trip using only the factory jack for support. Front wheel has to come off to splice into the fuel hard lines. I used a kit from Larts Parts on eBay.

Definitely do this before your next road trip, or sooner. Mine had about 210k miles (~330,000kms) at the time.

I detailed my specific oil pressure problems (and "while I'm in there" rod bearings) in this post

Freelance New Age Renaissance Man
and Wrench Warrior
1987 944na with S2/Turbo facelift
Seattle, Washington, USA

danmartinic
Fuel lines definitely next... in the spring 🤣

I remember reading that oil pressure post... my issue is different in that I never really fall below 2, at least not with any consistency. Mine just starts off low (max 4 cold).. but, I suspect I will need to do all that one day, just waiting for pan gasket to start leaking

How did you get the inner wheel well cover(s) off under such primitive parking lot / basic tool conditions? That's the only part holding me back. Aren't they held with rivits and odd fasteners? I actually have no idea what's there. My inner fenders are covered with years of buit-up gunk

cda951
I simply cut off crimps of the factory fuel lines and replace just the rubber sections of hose with high-quality fuel injection hose, and use high-quality stainless fuel injection clamps, can re-use factory heat sleeves and/or go with aftermarket sleeves. Works great, easily inspectable (unlike the braided stainless hose), can replace the hoses every 5-7 years or so. For the small jumper line between the fuel rail and damper, I use a new factory part.

Chris A.
---'86 944 Turbo track rat
---'90 944S2 Cab daily/touring car
---'73 BMW 2002tii road rally car
---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 GT car/Copart special
---'99 BMW Z3 Coupe daily driver/dog car
---'74 Jensen-Healey roadster
---other stuff

usury
danmartinic wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:23 pm How did you get the inner wheel well cover(s) off under such primitive parking lot / basic tool conditions? That's the only part holding me back. Aren't they held with rivits and odd fasteners? I actually have no idea what's there. My inner fenders are covered with years of buit-up gunk
Once the gunk is chipped off or washed away with a garden hose, the fasteners will be pretty obvious. At least on my 1987, the wheel liners are held in with only a few 10mm plastic nuts that fit onto studs. (The nuts are the same as the ones that secure the turbo/S2 rocker panel mouldings.)

Freelance New Age Renaissance Man
and Wrench Warrior
1987 944na with S2/Turbo facelift
Seattle, Washington, USA

danmartinic
cda951 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:00 am I simply cut off crimps of the factory fuel lines and replace just the rubber sections of hose with high-quality fuel injection hose
This is very interesting.. thanks

Reminds me when I used locally-supplied hose as coolant line for turbo coolant pump

danmartinic
usury wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:14 amThe nuts are the same as the ones that secure the turbo/S2 rocker panel mouldings.)
Oh Man.. those are brutal

Tom
Site Admin
danmartinic wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:40 am
usury wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:14 amThe nuts are the same as the ones that secure the turbo/S2 rocker panel mouldings.)
Oh Man.. those are brutal
The plastic nuts that hold the wheel liners in my car are super easy to pop off. If anything it feels like they should be more secure. If you need motivation to change the fuel lines, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=581#start__here

Lots of good kits that can be installed in a lazy afternoon, including the @Rennbay kit that is less bulky than most. Or if you like to keep things factory, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=636#start_here

danmartinic
Update: car has been running perfect. Just finished a 3 day trip to NYC--about 8 hours of straight driving each way.

Love that NY 17 highway but man are there a lot of troopers sitting along there!

Tom
Site Admin
danmartinic wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:18 am Update: car has been running perfect. Just finished a 3 day trip to NYC--about 8 hours of straight driving each way.

Love that NY 17 highway but man are there a lot of troopers sitting along there!
Wow, impressive trip in a car that's well into its 4th decade! Longest trip I've ever taken in mine was the day I bought it when I drove it home -- maybe 350 miles non-stop from Los Angeles to San Jose. Of course, it was 'only' a 12-year-old car at the time..... It ran fine, but the A/C was a challenge because the original owner had bypassed the climate control unit and hooked up toggle switch directly to the compressor clutch. Had to manually cycle the switch to keep it happy. First thing I did to it was replace the snowflake switch.

Your post makes me wonder what the longest trip anyone's made in a 944 in recent years. You have to be close to the top of that list....

danmartinic
Some of the 944 Fest guys (and gals) come further I bet

You're missing out: road trips in a 944/951 are sweet. Even without cruise control, I find the seats and pedal never induce soreness. Seriously amazed at that. And the climate control keeps a super comfy temp automatically. Plus you get all kinds of stares at the lunch stop. Nevermind that I only used just over 2 tanks of gas Toronto to NYC and back. This car is better on the highway than a Toyota

Over the years, I have quite regularly gone on trips, at least one a year, mostly in the 4-6 hour range here in Ontario / Quebec. Chicago is probably furthest one. NYC didn't feel too far really. 944 Fest I think was closer. I don't hesitate to travel and frankly, a road trip is probably less taxing on the car than the daily grind.

Doesn't beat the LA to Toronto in a 1960 VW back in '98 though.. fresh body-off restoration using original engine & trans (engine was refreshed). Only issue was trans mount broke in Vegas.. but the shop got it fixed overnight