Cracked glass

tommarbru
Sold my Viper 8 months ago and was fortunate to get an allocation for a 2023 GT3. The car was delivered to my home 2 weeks ago. I have been reading on other sites that many have experienced spontaneous glass breakage on not only the windshield but on other sites as well. I just joined the club. the car has less than 500 Miles on it and I just noticed a small crack on the drivers side door glass at the top right. I think I might know why that happened. If you own a 2022 or 2023 GT3 you might check the gap between the outer and inner glass partitions at the top of your window glass. Lower the window slightly and look straight down on top window edge. I could run my finger nail in the empty channel between the panes. I would estimate that the depth was 2-3 mm. The outer pane is quite a bit thicker than the inner one. As i closed the door I think that the thin inner pane section got wedged against the rubber molding as the window rose the last few millimeters. As there was no filler between the panes, the thin section was left unbraced and simply cracked due to the pressure against the window seal. You might check your windows to see if that condition exist for you GT3. If so, perhaps some filler could be deposited in the channel to better support the thin inner glass pane. I am presently submitting a warranty claim as this glass fault is a factory defect. I am told $1500 for glass + labor. Hoping for the best.

Tom
Site Admin
tommarbru wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:41 pm Sold my Viper 8 months ago and was fortunate to get an allocation for a 2023 GT3. The car was delivered to my home 2 weeks ago. I have been reading on other sites that many have experienced spontaneous glass breakage on not only the windshield but on other sites as well. I just joined the club. the car has less than 500 Miles on it and I just noticed a small crack on the drivers side door glass at the top right. I think I might know why that happened. If you own a 2022 or 2023 GT3 you might check the gap between the outer and inner glass partitions at the top of your window glass. Lower the window slightly and look straight down on top window edge. I could run my finger nail in the empty channel between the panes. I would estimate that the depth was 2-3 mm. The outer pane is quite a bit thicker than the inner one. As i closed the door I think that the thin inner pane section got wedged against the rubber molding as the window rose the last few millimeters. As there was no filler between the panes, the thin section was left unbraced and simply cracked due to the pressure against the window seal. You might check your windows to see if that condition exist for you GT3. If so, perhaps some filler could be deposited in the channel to better support the thin inner glass pane. I am presently submitting a warranty claim as this glass fault is a factory defect. I am told $1500 for glass + labor. Hoping for the best.

So sorry to hear that, what a bummer. I have a '21 turbo and took at look at mine but can't quite sort out the panes you are mentioning? Are they limited to '22 and '23 cars and/or just GT3's? Any chance of posting a picture showing the issue? As described, it sure sounds like a warranty issue. Either way, thanks for posting this -- I had not heard anything about this issue...

tommarbru
Your glass may be different as mine has the light weight type. Roll down the window half way and look at the top of your window glass. Straight down, and you will see 2 layers of glass with some type of sealer in between.
The inside glass appears to be super thin while the outside is fairly thick. The 2 layers do not rise to the same height which leaves a 2-3 mm. gap between the layers in the middle. This allows the inside thin glass to stick up without any middle support which then caused it to crack from the lateral force when contacting the rubber window gasket.

Tom
Site Admin
tommarbru wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:57 pm Your glass may be different as mine has the light weight type. Roll down the window half way and look at the top of your window glass. Straight down, and you will see 2 layers of glass with some type of sealer in between.
The inside glass appears to be super thin while the outside is fairly thick. The 2 layers do not rise to the same height which leaves a 2-3 mm. gap between the layers in the middle. This allows the inside thin glass to stick up without any middle support which then caused it to crack from the lateral force when contacting the rubber window gasket.
Thanks, must be different. Mine just looks like a regular old side window glass with a rolled edge on top, unless I'm missing something....

glass-edge.jpg
glass-edge.jpg (568.95 KiB) Viewed 880 times

tommarbru
Talked to dealer today and they reported that the glass cracking issue is a well known problem on the door light weight glass GT3's. They are replacing the door glass with regular heavy glass under warranty. Now if they could only figure out why the windshield and/or rear glass spontaneously break while undriven and parked in the garage.

Paulgt3
Welcome. Can you post some pics of your car? And if you don’t mind can you tell us since you’re not a Porsche guy before how did you get your allocation? I’m curious because I’ve had 3 GT3s and still don’t know how to get Porsche to get me an allocation

2018 GT3
2022 Ford F 150 Tremor
Gone:
993 TT
996 GT3
997.1 GT3
997.2 911 S
50TH Anniversary 911
Boise Idaho

tommarbru
I'm not sure how i go about posting pictures but my commission # for the build was G27231. It's 2023 silver with every option except buckets. You can access the build using that number. As to the allocation. I live in Southern California and trying to get an allocation here was impossible. Dealers were also asking for a 100K ADM. In August I started calling dealers all over the country that had new GT3's in their inventory and getting prices + their ADM. I did not call dealers in large metro areas but mostly smaller dealers in the mid west and east coast. After weeks of calling I soon got a return call from a dealer in Connecticut that offered me an allocation with a reasonable ADM. Once I had the build order I sent them a 10% down payment and then 3 months later the car was delivered to me here in San Diego.

Tom
Site Admin
tommarbru wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:20 am I'm not sure how i go about posting pictures but my commission # for the build was G27231. It's 2023 silver with every option except buckets. You can access the build using that number. As to the allocation. I live in Southern California and trying to get an allocation here was impossible. Dealers were also asking for a 100K ADM. In August I started calling dealers all over the country that had new GT3's in their inventory and getting prices + their ADM. I did not call dealers in large metro areas but mostly smaller dealers in the mid west and east coast. After weeks of calling I soon got a return call from a dealer in Connecticut that offered me an allocation with a reasonable ADM. Once I had the build order I sent them a 10% down payment and then 3 months later the car was delivered to me here in San Diego.
I can't get that build code to come up. Could be expired by now....? I have a friend who did the same thing to get his GT4 in 2016 -- and eventually bought it from a dealer on the East Coast with a 'courtesy delivery' to a local dealer. He's on the same hunt for a GT4RS now. At least it's not yet as bad a Ferrari with all their 'relationship' requirements (the legality of which I've always pondered...).

Here is a guide on posting pictures. It was buried in the new member area, so just made it a sticky so people are more likely to see it. :)

viewtopic.php?t=410#start_here

tommarbru
trying to post pictures. hope it works
Attachments
IMG_0662.jpg
IMG_0662.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 803 times
IMG_0661.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 803 times
IMG_0660.jpg
IMG_0660.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 803 times
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 803 times

Larry C
Beautiful but where is the Carpokes, hand painted dial mode selector cover?

2022 Cayman GTS 4.0
2019 Audi RS3 (sold)
2016 VW Golf R (sold)
2013 Audi S4 (sold)