944 Speaker Cover

markagsmith5
I recently created a 3D model of a 944 front door speaker cover. My old speakers fell apart so I bought new 3rd party replacements but they required a deeper cavity to house the thicker spacer at the front of the speaker. I added a few extra holes compared to the original as there was room. The total thickness of the cover is 12mm.
The ellipse cutout for the speaker measures 150mm x 100mm with a depth of 8.88mm.
IMG20220530134305.jpg
IMG20220530134313.jpg
IMG20220530134435.jpg
IMG20220530140232.jpg
FrontSpeakerCover3D.stl
You need at least one post on Carpokes to see and download files.

Tom
Site Admin
Very nice, thanks for sharing. How did you get the finish so smooth? And what plastic did you use? Early on, I learned the hard way why not to use PLA for car interior parts...

markagsmith5
I am fairly new to 3D printing, the speaker covers were the 1st thing I have designed and printed.
Unfortunately I did use PLA. Please let me know what the issues are with it.
To get the finish I first wet sanded with 400 wet and dry. Then applied 3 coats of "Plastic Primer Filler", wet sanded with 600. Applied blade putty to any deep imperfections, wet sanded again with 600. Then repeated the process twice more before applying the top coats.

Tom
Site Admin
markagsmith5 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:46 pm I am fairly new to 3D printing, the speaker covers were the 1st thing I have designed and printed.
Unfortunately I did use PLA. Please let me know what the issues are with it.
To get the finish I first wet sanded with 400 wet and dry. Then applied 3 coats of "Plastic Primer Filler", wet sanded with 600. Applied blade putty to any deep imperfections, wet sanded again with 600. Then repeated the process twice more before applying the top coats.
The issue with PLA is that is does not hold up to heat very well, so it tends to warp and melt when the car warms up inside. I used to park my car in a parking structure (all shade) and came back at the end of the day to find my fancy new PLA cup holder all warped and distorted. It doesn't even need to be a very hot day if you park in the sun. It's possible your glaze and paint will help it resist the heat, but in the long run, for interior car parts, consider PETG or better yet, ABS. ABS is harder to print, but once you get the hang of it, it's not bad. Filaments are rated with heat deflection temperature, so if you look up the 'HDT' of a filament, you can get a sense how well it will hold up relative to others inside a hot car.

markagsmith5
I recently found this tip
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/gadget/ ... ne-5-5s-se
"TIP FOR PLA PRINTING: gradually subject the fixing to a temperature of 80°C for 15 minutes.

After this passage the PLA will be able to resist a temperature of 110°C approximately. Very important because it will be fixed to the heating grilles of your car."