New 3D-Printed 944 Timing Belt Tensioner Tool

Brooks944
Thanks for making the tool!

Brooks944
so as it turns out, this tool doesn't work for my 944S, the peg that its supposed to slip over isn't round and so it doesn't fit

SE_944ER
Brooks944 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:05 am so as it turns out, this tool doesn't work for my 944S, the peg that its supposed to slip over isn't round and so it doesn't fit
Hey Brooks944!
I agree and I found it the hard way as well. Check here viewtopic.php?t=777&start=220#p22104
I even tried to mod the boss to make it slip over and crank but the whole design is set up for 8V and not 16V, as Tom mentioned in the earlier posts. Will have to wait for 16V version and for now may be do it by feel. Could watch this page: viewtopic.php?p=22575#p22575 to know when it comes.

As I found out, there is not much wiggle room for you to set it wrong, if you set it just loose enough then the belt will flap against the cover which you will hear during the first start (so did I) and if its too tight you can yet again hear the loud whine. That means it can only be set just in the range so that there is none of the aforementioned sounds, which is doable.

Regards,
SE_944ER
---------------
1987 944 S

Tom
Site Admin
SE_944ER wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:03 am
Brooks944 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:05 am so as it turns out, this tool doesn't work for my 944S, the peg that its supposed to slip over isn't round and so it doesn't fit
Hey Brooks944!
I agree and I found it the hard way as well. Check here viewtopic.php?t=777&start=220#p22104
I even tried to mod the boss to make it slip over and crank but the whole design is set up for 8V and not 16V, as Tom mentioned in the earlier posts. Will have to wait for 16V version and for now may be do it by feel. Could watch this page: viewtopic.php?p=22575#p22575 to know when it comes.

As I found out, there is not much wiggle room for you to set it wrong, if you set it just loose enough then the belt will flap against the cover which you will hear during the first start (so did I) and if its too tight you can yet again hear the loud whine. That means it can only be set just in the range so that there is none of the aforementioned sounds, which is doable.
I have a block on a stand right now, so it would be a good time to develop the 16v version. I just need a loaner (or cheap) 16v head to calibrate it with.... If anyone knows of one, it would really help to get this done. I'll also have to look to see if all 16v heads/cam gears are sufficiently similar to use the same tool. Are they all pretty much the same?

That_Cressida_Guy
Commenting to get this for a friend, thanks

RadioRush
Tom, all of us 16V guys are looking forward to having our own version of your tool.

My answer to your question: I’m not aware of any belt, gear, tensioner, or roller differences between the S and S2 16V engines. As previously stated, there are distinctives for the 968 version.

Tom
Site Admin
RadioRush wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 am Tom, all of us 16V guys are looking forward to having our own version of your tool.

My answer to your question: I’m not aware of any belt, gear, tensioner, or roller differences between the S and S2 16V engines. As previously stated, there are distinctives for the 968 version.
That's a good start. Would love to make one tool for all 16v variations, so maybe I'll start by looking at pictures on how the 968 differs to see if the tool can be designed around the differences. Pics welcome if anyone has good ones...

Dkraven
Trying to figure out how to use the tool on my 944 with an old style water pump and no guide rail. If someone could measure the distance from the edge of the belt cover to the rail at 2 points then I could paint a line on the back of the cover to use maybe?

slightarousal
I'm actually doing a test to compare all of the methods and tools with a frequency belt reader to see how close they are to each other. Commenting to print this tool but also curious if anyone has the Arnworx tool on hand? I already have the 9201 a kind soul on Reddit shipped me, will have this tensioner, will also compare to the twist method, use the Krikit, and would love to round it out with the Arnworx tool. On top of that I have a couple belt brands to use. All of these will be compared with the frequency reader.

Tom
Site Admin
slightarousal wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:37 am I'm actually doing a test to compare all of the methods and tools with a frequency belt reader to see how close they are to each other. Commenting to print this tool but also curious if anyone has the Arnworx tool on hand? I already have the 9201 a kind soul on Reddit shipped me, will have this tensioner, will also compare to the twist method, use the Krikit, and would love to round it out with the Arnworx tool. On top of that I have a couple belt brands to use. All of these will be compared with the frequency reader.
Great project. Be sure to you use the updated tool with the heat-set insert.

Did you see the article in the May 2018 Panorama -- Tensions Run High....? We tried to do the same thing in that article, sans belt frequency tool.

https://ww2.pca.org/pano/may-2018/#page=94