Help Requested - 3D Scanning

Naturally aspirated tech and talk
Zirconocene
Hi all-

I'm wondering if there is someone on this forum that is able to 3D scan parts to create models for printing. There are a couple of threads over on RL where there are small parts that are NLA, or not available separate from an assembly, that I think would be great for 3D printing.

However, as advanced as that technology is, it is lagging (from a consumer price perspective) to the printing. I've been exploring photogrammetry but it often seems like it would require a higher end camera than I have, so I've been hesitant to jump into that.

I'm looking to get a model for the "16 Ventiler" badge, which would be shared on this forum for everyone.

Thanks

Cheers

1990 928 GT
1990 928 S4
1991 944 S2
1993 968
2002 911 C2

blueline
Zirconocene wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:12 am Hi all-

I'm wondering if there is someone on this forum that is able to 3D scan parts to create models for printing. There are a couple of threads over on RL where there are small parts that are NLA, or not available separate from an assembly, that I think would be great for 3D printing.

However, as advanced as that technology is, it is lagging (from a consumer price perspective) to the printing. I've been exploring photogrammetry but it often seems like it would require a higher end camera than I have, so I've been hesitant to jump into that.

I'm looking to get a model for the "16 Ventiler" badge, which would be shared on this forum for everyone.

Thanks
This is one for which Tom and others will have an answer.

Bump to get it back up top.

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

Tom
Site Admin
blueline wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:18 am
Zirconocene wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:12 am Hi all-

Thanks
This is one for which Tom and others will have an answer.

Bump to get it back up top.
I'm a hack at Fusion 360, but can model most parts -- in ways that would make the experts cringe I imagine -- but I eventually get there on most stuff :) What badge to you mean? The only 16 Ventiler badge I can think of is the embossed side door strip thingie. Is that what you are after? Famous last words, but think that's within my reach. I'm not big on 3D scanning, but not sure that would be the best for that part anyway. The strip itself would be easy to model, and then it would be a matter of projecting an image of the script onto the part and embossing it. If you had a spare to model from, that would make it easier. Otherwise, post great pictures with dimensions -- ideally pictures perfectly square to the part so the 2D outline is not skewed by the camera angle.

What other parts are people looking for? :)

Zirconocene
Tom-

I'm really glad you jumped in; I had sent you a PM about this, but I imagine you must get a million of those.

Indeed, the part I'm talking about is the little badge on the side of the car. I have contact with someone on RL that has a spare they're willing to lend to the effort and I can coordinate getting you the part if you're willing to jump in.

There was also a request for the same badge, but that says "turbo", which I think should be possible if the bones of the piece are available.

Should I contact you privately to get details worked out?

Many thanks

Cheers

1990 928 GT
1990 928 S4
1991 944 S2
1993 968
2002 911 C2

Tom
Site Admin
Zirconocene wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:07 am Tom-

I'm really glad you jumped in; I had sent you a PM about this, but I imagine you must get a million of those.

Indeed, the part I'm talking about is the little badge on the side of the car. I have contact with someone on RL that has a spare they're willing to lend to the effort and I can coordinate getting you the part if you're willing to jump in.

There was also a request for the same badge, but that says "turbo", which I think should be possible if the bones of the piece are available.

Should I contact you privately to get details worked out?

Many thanks

Sure, PM me. The RL folks will need to join up over here, of course, to get the goods though. :)

p.s., sorry if I missed an earlier PM -- doesn't ring a bell, but I forget bells easily these days.... :lol:

martintobi
I have access to a professional 3D scanner and frequently use it for various purposes. I could help you with that, if I could get my hands on the part(s) you have in mind in Czech republic...

sidenote: thing about 3D scanners most people do not realize is that the result is a STL file, not a CAD geometry.

Laber_Bris
I have just recently tried the 3Dmakerpro scanner. It works when you get the hang off it. I tried to hook it up to my phone, but were not satisfying. However with connection to a PC it were usable.
The output is a point cloud, and this needs to be converted to CAD geometries. My point is, when the scan is done you are less than half way . So for a logo i would base it of a picture. For other things careful measurements and modeling is the way to go.