Installing speedometer Needle

Naturally aspirated tech and talk
zooklm1
I took apart my speedometer to replace a failed gear and have put it back together except installing the needle. My speedo look a little different than the picture in the gear replacement instructions as I don’t have a little metal piece sticking up (see hand drawn arrows in pictures). Also here is a picture of my needle. I align the needle pin with the hole but it doesn’t stay in. Any ideas on what is going on.
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_7517.jpeg
IMG_7517.jpeg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 181 times
IMG_7518.jpeg
IMG_7518.jpeg (645.78 KiB) Viewed 181 times
IMG_7516.jpeg
IMG_7516.jpeg (560.88 KiB) Viewed 181 times

Tom
Site Admin
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I suspect you broke the little axle shaft on the speedometer. When you remove the orange needle, it needs to pop off the metal piece shown in your first picture. Instead, it looks like the shaft broke on yours. That's why the guide looks different. Kind of a long shot, but try pushing the shaft back in and see if it seats securely. If not (as I'd expect), the path of least resistance is probably a new-used speedometer. Look at the end of the little shaft -- does it look snapped off? Can you see the other side of the broken shaft in the little port in the center of the speedometer?

whalenlg
This happened on my tach. Repair estimate was something like $400 from either the Palo Alto place or the LA place (I forgot the names).

I did find a reasonable used one on eBay at UK Luxury Spares - it shows up on eBay uk not eBay us, but they do ship to the us. Beware they don’t respond to questions right away and might not send you a tracking number, but I did order and receive a working part.

Mike

1986 951 - Silicon Valley

zooklm1
I tried pushing the needle in and it does not stay in. I was thinking of trying to bond it on and see if that would work. I will start looking for a replacement.
Thanks

Tom
Site Admin
zooklm1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:20 pm I tried pushing the needle in and it does not stay in. I was thinking of trying to bond it on and see if that would work. I will start looking for a replacement.
Thanks
Can't hurt to try, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high. :( If you find a replacement, I've learned that you can set the new odometer to match the old one by loosening up the mechanism. (And ever since, I've taken odometer readings with a grain of salt on these cars.)

icb
Try Plyhammer's parts, I bet Mark has a ton of speedos in the shop right now. As Tom suggested, the odometers are pretty easy to set to any mileage you want if you are so inclined. If you just repaired yours, it's easy to swap the odo into a replacement.

Ian Borg
1988 Porsche 944S
https://icb-machinations.blogspot.com/

CEW
I would try a very little dab of JBWeld (or similar) on the tip of the broken shaft and secure it in the correct position until cured.

zooklm1
I will try the jb weld and reach out to Plyhammers.
Thanks