Those spots on old instrument clusters....

Naturally aspirated tech and talk
miggytosh
Happy for this thread as my S2 is suffering from this issue and it’s one of my spring to-dos.

Reluctant geek, weekend wrencher, marketer, enthusiastic father of two, husband of extremely patient wife.

‘24 Cayman GTS
‘19 Cayenne e-hybrid
‘11 Boxster Spyder
‘89 Porsche 944 S2

NCGermerican
Ajay213 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:27 am I do have the Lutz Auto circuit replacement sitting in a box here, the ribbon on mine is very shaky - the replacement from a 2nd hand cluster wasn't much better.
I've almost hit the purchase button on the Lutz kit a few times but never did. Please keep us updated when you install it and let us know how the install was and how well it works!

1987 951 - Nautic Blue over Linen
1987 944 S - Nautic Blue over Linen
2015 Audi RS5 Sepang Blue (Daily)
2023 Durango R/T AWD - Destroyer Grey (Wife's Daily)
2013 Audi A5 Quattro - Brilliant Black (Son's daily once he turns 16)

breilly951
Hi all, I thought I would share the procedure and results for removing the lens and eliminating the white spots on my 951 binnacle. In hopes of my eventual number coming up for one of Toms' 911 style bezel & LED kit, I thought I would do some preliminary prep work for the install.

Removing the clear lens was not too hard and I was able to get it off without cracking it. I heated the edges up a little using heat gun on low and then used a very thin flat head to "gently" pry up on the lens and slowly going around the entire perimeter of the binnacle. I did this several times and it eventually pulled free. For me, not rushing the process was key.

My binnacle also had the usual white spots so I used Toms' heat gun method to remove them and it worked great. I removed the instruments from the binnacle and then used low heat and kept the gun moving over the entire area for a few minutes seemed to do the trick. The texture remains and the spots are gone. I also plan on using Griot's trim restoration before I put it back in the car.

Here are a couple of photos to show before and after results. I believe patience is the key to success for these two tasks.

Bruce Reilly
Ins Panel.jpg
Ins Panel.jpg (230.13 KiB) Viewed 99 times
IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg (755.54 KiB) Viewed 99 times
IMG_0439.jpg
IMG_0439.jpg (822.24 KiB) Viewed 99 times

Tom
Site Admin
Very glad to hear you got the clear lens off without too much fuss. The black binnacle stuff looks fantastic with just heat, but try the Griot's Trim Restorer stuff too, in the green bottle. Between the heat and the Griot's stuff, it makes the binnacle look better than the day it left the factory. Did you remove the light guard trim at the bottom -- where the arrows are pointing in the picture below? It just loosely clips into place and comes off without tools once the clear lens is removed. Behind it are where the light tunnels stick up, and where you either will or will not have another smaller plastic strip behind the light tunnels. If you have a chance, can you post a picture with that front strip removed, so I can see what's behind it. Still trying to map which clusters have that extra strip and which don't. (It's the kind of valuable info that gets a guy bumped up on the list, just say'n :angel: )
Attachments
gauge-binnacle-gaurd.gif
gauge-binnacle-gaurd.gif (339.77 KiB) Viewed 90 times

breilly951
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg (892.12 KiB) Viewed 53 times
IMG_0442.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg (774.43 KiB) Viewed 53 times
Tom and all,

Here are a couple of photos Tom asked me to post showing the additional plastic strip used on my 1986 951 binnacle.