Top Replacement

Including Spyders & GT4s
beren
Hi All,

I was washing my car today and noticed some abrasions on the rear passenger side of the top. Definitely some cut fibers there. The car is my daily and I drive with the top down as much as possible so it goes up and down a lot.

I was wondering if anyone had looked into a replacement top or even done it. I see GAHH sells them: https://gahh.com/, not sure if there is an OEM option.

Installation looks fairly complicated.

beren

beren erchamion
'88 911 Targa
'16 Boxster Black Edition
'18 Macan S

J.parker
Panorama July 2022 had an thorough explanation of 981 convertible top wear (page 118 Tec Q&A) any PCA member will most likely still have a copy handy. Suffice to say the mechanism is most likely more than a DIY project. My Sunday driver a 2013 with less than 10K miles has same issues. Pedro.Bonilla@pca.org can help with your top.

beren
J.parker wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:08 pm Panorama July 2022 had an thorough explanation of 981 convertible top wear (page 118 Tec Q&A) any PCA member will most likely still have a copy handy. Suffice to say the mechanism is most likely more than a DIY project. My Sunday driver a 2013 with less than 10K miles has same issues. Pedro.Bonilla@pca.org can help with your top.
Cool! Thanks! I'll check that out!

jeff

beren erchamion
'88 911 Targa
'18 Macan S

beren
I checked that Panorama thing --> not really useful. Cover the spots with a microfiber towel before closing the top? Not really a practical tip. I'm wondering if black cloth electrical tape is a better option if done with precision.

beren erchamion
'88 911 Targa
'18 Macan S

wwwjpat
Proud owner of a first-year '97 Boxster, here, with 135k miles (+ also an '87 928 S4). Even living in (North) Florida my original top lasted considerably longer than yours, but when the time came to replace, I chose to have a professional top shop do it & the money was wisely spent. Lots of lining-up & small details to take into consideration to get it just right (& mine came out perfect). Took the opportunity to 'upgrade' to a hard glass rear window, in place of the original plastic (not applicable to you) & that also was a good decision (even though the view out is diminished by 20% or so). Best of luck! Pat Peterson, Tallahassee, FL

beren
Thanks Pat - appreciate the response! Great advice.

beren
wwwjpat wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:42 am Proud owner of a first-year '97 Boxster, here, with 135k miles (+ also an '87 928 S4). Even living in (North) Florida my original top lasted considerably longer than yours, but when the time came to replace, I chose to have a professional top shop do it & the money was wisely spent. Lots of lining-up & small details to take into consideration to get it just right (& mine came out perfect). Took the opportunity to 'upgrade' to a hard glass rear window, in place of the original plastic (not applicable to you) & that also was a good decision (even though the view out is diminished by 20% or so). Best of luck! Pat Peterson, Tallahassee, FL

beren erchamion
'88 911 Targa
'18 Macan S