New 3D-Printed 944 Timing Belt Tensioner Tool

Tom
Site Admin
gecko951 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:07 pm Printed in Nylon-CF and excited to try it out to re-check my timing belt tension.
Love to see that version being used. What printer? I did that mega-brim out of frustration with the NylonX and was a little embarrassed posting it, but figured it would come in handy for exactly that kind of material. Looks like it came out nice and flat too. :) A deburring tool does a great job of cleaning off the edges... and don't forget the screws. :) Let us know how it goes!

gecko951
I haven't invested in a 3d printer so I purchase that service via Treatstock and the vendor printed it with the Prusa mk3.

The Powerbrim design isn't quite as sleek but the name is good marketing! :mrgreen:

MF944
Hey guys thanks for all the great information, looking to start my head gasket project on the 86’, awesome to see you guys helping out the at home mechanics! Thanks

burekwithcheese
Thank you for the print file! Will test it on a 2.7 with the automatic tensioner to make sure it is within spec!

netopier
first post:
968 cam housing tends to crumble on that point which you use as pivot, so if anyone has magnesium rear cam cover/housing from 968 on 944s2 maybe, be careful, altough, the 944s2 has automatic tensioner, but sometimes (everytime) you want to be sure and verify

Tom
Site Admin
netopier wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:38 am first post:
968 cam housing tends to crumble on that point which you use as pivot, so if anyone has magnesium rear cam cover/housing from 968 on 944s2 maybe, be careful, altough, the 944s2 has automatic tensioner, but sometimes (everytime) you want to be sure and verify
Welcome to Carpokes!

This tool is for the 8 valve motors, so not intended for any 16 valve motor, in case I wasn't clear about that. Not sure it would even line up on a 16v motor? If it does, I don't know if it would work the same and/or give accurate readings.... Maybe, but I don't know if the pivot points are the same or of the pointers would correspond to factory tension settings on those motors. Someone would need to try it and compare the results to the factory tool....

Mr. Toasty
Member No. 944
Tom wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:23 am
netopier wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:38 am first post:
Welcome to Carpokes!

This tool is for the 8 valve motors, so not intended for any 16 valve motor, in case I wasn't clear about that. Not sure it would even line up on a 16v motor? If it does, I don't know if it would work the same and/or give accurate readings.... Maybe, but I don't know if the pivot points are the same or of the pointers would correspond to factory tension settings on those motors. Someone would need to try it and compare the results to the factory tool....
It does line up, but the pivot point is a different shape (not round) on my S. It may be possible to make an adapter, but the tool would also need a larger diameter pivot hole. It’s not immediately clear what would need to be changed to make it work, but I’ll keep thinking on it. The magnesium does make it a less desirable spot for tool placement, so maybe a different location would work

Member #944!

1987 944 S
1987 944 S (engine fire and part out)
2003 Subaru Outback LL Bean: not that exciting, but never fails

netopier
Sorry guys, i did not realize it wouldnt even fit into the 16v cars housing.
despite being 16v, the timing belt side is almost identical except this. maybe some pin-like adapter from screw would help but it is a no-no on that magnesium cover. S2 has aluminium one.
i had mine back cam cover on my 968 3d scanned for future reasons, and my fellow repaired the old, with aluminium inserts.
cam1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FJR
Thanks for sharing the STL file.