Porsche and the mysterious oil check dance

Including the Spyder, GT4, and GT4RS
Bill in Bama
I missed that in the manual, why should I ever doubt the Germans wouldn't have a fail-safe warning? Good to know.

'21 718 GTS 4.0, AGM/Espresso/ Cognac
'17 Cayenne base, White/Luxor/Black
'16 Cayman GTS, great car, sold for the 4.0
'13 Cayenne base, DBM/Luxor beige
'06 Cayman S, first mid-engine car
'86 944 Turbo, fast! Stone grey
'84 944, my first Porsche DBM

slilley
Hi all, here's my feedback on this topic based on the one oil change I've done so far on my '22 CGTS:

Fill with 8 quarts to start; I think I added another 0.25 quart to get to middle level. With DFI engines, I try to keep the oil at the middle of the measured range.

To get a reading after the oil change, this worked for me: 1. Drive the car until everything is up to temperature. 2. Turn off car but do not open front or rear trunk. 3. Wait 5-10 minutes. 4. Turn on engine and let it idle for 5 minutes. 5. Get oil reading!

Another option (this worked for me as well): just start car up in garage, and let idle for 10-15 minutes.

This dance makes me appreciate the oil dipstick in my 2018 GTI!

blueline
slilley wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:48 am Hi all, here's my feedback on this topic based on the one oil change I've done so far on my '22 CGTS:

Fill with 8 quarts to start; I think I added another 0.25 quart to get to middle level. With DFI engines, I try to keep the oil at the middle of the measured range.

To get a reading after the oil change, this worked for me: 1. Drive the car until everything is up to temperature. 2. Turn off car but do not open front or rear trunk. 3. Wait 5-10 minutes. 4. Turn on engine and let it idle for 5 minutes. 5. Get oil reading!

Another option (this worked for me as well): just start car up in garage, and let idle for 10-15 minutes.

This dance makes me appreciate the oil dipstick in my 2018 GTI!

@slilley

To your point regarding where you like to keep the oil level, there's this in my 2021 718 GT4 'Driving on the race circuit' supplemental owner's manual (p5) which supports what you shared.

2021 GT4 'Driving Race Circuit' manual.png
2021 GT4 'Driving Race Circuit' manual.png (316.75 KiB) Viewed 350 times

I'm splitting small hairs with Porsche, but I find it interesting that they don't make that distinction in the full owner's manual. It seems to reinforce the idea that the correct filling is with the green bar at the top, albeit with the explicit warning to never overfill.

On a different note, this is also the same manual which, along with the regular 718 owner's manual, that has the illustrations for the water fill and oil fill ports reversed. After two years, Porsche is finally releasing digital updates correcting the mistake in the two manuals. (I received an emailed notice from Porsche regarding the update a couple of days ago.)

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

Bill in Bama
Interesting. It seems to me that Porsche should have that information in ALL manuals, not just the GT4 ( and I presume the GT4 RS), since many folks with "lesser" models track their cars too. I would like to inspect one of those race supplements to see what else is included in it.

blueline
Bill in Bama wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:17 pm Interesting. It seems to me that Porsche should have that information in ALL manuals, not just the GT4 ( and I presume the GT4 RS), since many folks with "lesser" models track their cars too. I would like to inspect one of those race supplements to see what else is included in it.
I sent a pm yesterday regarding the 'Driving on the race circuit' supplemental manual. Not sure if the message made it to you.

Tim
'24 Cayenne S - Algarve Blue Metallic
'22 992 Turbo S - Carmine Red
'21 718 Cayman GT4 - White
'21 718 Cayman GTS - black
'11 GMC 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 - black
Musik-Stadt Region

Bill in Bama
Yes, I found it, thank you.

Rusky_GTS
My observation is that it's difficult to get an oil level reading shortly after changing the oil. I changed my oil a few weeks ago and have tried all tricks--no luck.

When the oil is near the end of its life, thousands of miles later, I seem to have no problem getting an oil level reading under the same conditions. Perhaps something to do with oil condition and how it interacts with the sensor?

My approach is to carefully drain ALL the oil, then refill with the CORRECT amount. As long as your oil draining process is consistent, your refill quantity will not change. In the case of my GTS 4.0, which is supposed to take 8 liters of oil, I refill with 7.5 to 7.75 liters. Eventually I get a reading and can make the final adjustment.

Tom
Site Admin
blueline wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:29 pm

On a different note, this is also the same manual which, along with the regular 718 owner's manual, that has the illustrations for the water fill and oil fill ports reversed. After two years, Porsche is finally releasing digital updates correcting the mistake in the two manuals. (I received an emailed notice from Porsche regarding the update a couple of days ago.)

I ran into @JetFuelOnly at the dealer the other week and he was picking up a printed supplement of some kind -- which sounds a lot like these digital updates you mention. Hoping he confirms, but if you like having all the factory manuals (including correction), one may be available at your dealer for this.

p.s., pretty mind-blowing mistake for Porsche to reverse the water and oil fill ports in the manual. :shock: Reminds me a bit of the oil filler on the '72 911 that looks just like a gas cap door (with predictable results).

Bill in Bama
My approach is to carefully drain ALL the oil, then refill with the CORRECT amount. As long as your oil draining process is consistent, your refill quantity will not change. In the case of my GTS 4.0, which is supposed to take 8 liters of oil, I refill with 7.5 to 7.75 liters. Eventually I get a reading and can make the final adjustment.
[/quote]

That is basically what I do as well, but as you say, getting a reading right after an oil change is all but impossible. I've been changing oil in my vehicles since I was 14 ( yeah, got my first car at 14), and one of the first things I learned was to pull the dipstick and check the oil level after filling the crankcase. Porsche obviously sees a "better" way. To be fair, many other manufacturers do the sensor thing also, but not being able to get an immediate reading is really unacceptable.